If you’re searching for a healthy and delicious breakfast option, look no further than this Greek Yogurt Banana Split recipe packed with 27 g protein! Loaded with nutritious ingredients like Greek yogurt and bananas, this breakfast is not only satisfying but also easy to make. Plus, with endless customization options, it’s a breakfast option that you’ll never get tired of. Get ready to start your day off on the right foot with this healthy twist on the classic banana split!
3 Reasons Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s a healthy breakfast option: This recipe is packed with nutritious ingredients like Greek yogurt and bananas that will keep you feeling full and satisfied throughout the morning. Plus, it’s low in sugar and high in protein, making it a perfect choice for anyone looking for a healthy breakfast option.
- It’s easy to make: This recipe is incredibly easy to make, and you can customize it to your liking with additional fruits, nuts, and seeds. Whether you’re in a rush in the morning or just looking for a quick and easy breakfast option, this recipe is perfect.
- It’s delicious: Not only is this recipe healthy and easy to make, but it’s also incredibly delicious. The combination of creamy Greek yogurt, sweet bananas, and your favorite toppings makes for a refreshing and satisfying breakfast that you’ll love. Plus, it’s the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without sacrificing your health goals.
- Banana: Bananas are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals like potassium. They’re also a great source of natural sugar, which makes them a perfect sweet addition to this recipe. Using a ripe banana helps add natural sweetness without having to add any additional sweeteners.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is high in protein, making it a great addition to any healthy breakfast. It’s also a good source of probiotics, which can help improve gut health and support immune health. Be sure to look at nutrition labels to choose a variety that is low in added sugar! My favorite kind of yogurt is the Chobani brand, which has 6 live and active cultures present! I use the plain yogurt variety so that we cut down on added sugars.
- Protein Powder: In this recipe, adding vanilla protein powder enhances the protein content of the Greek yogurt, making it an even more nutritious and filling breakfast option. I used the brand Dymatize Elite 100% Whey in Gourmet Vanilla for a classic flavor! Feel free to customize and use any brand or flavor protein powder you like.
- Berries: Berries are the perfect topping due to their low sugar content. They are also a great source of antioxidants, fiber, and add a delicious burst of flavor to the recipe. I like to choose a mixture of different berries for added variety.
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter is a great source of healthy fats and protein, and it adds a delicious nutty flavor to the recipe. Make sure to choose a natural peanut butter without added sugars for the healthiest option. I love Georgia Grinders because they use Georgia grown peanuts and sea salt- that’s it!
- Additional toppings: Feel free to customize your topping! Other options could be chia seeds, cacao nibs, almond slivers, dark chocolate chips, granola, or dried cranberries.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Banana Split
Begin by slicing the banana in half lengthwise and placing it in a shallow bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt and protein powder until well combined.
Spoon the yogurt mixture over the banana slices, dividing it evenly between the two halves.
Drizzle the peanut butter over the yogurt mixture.
Sprinkle the chia seeds over the top of the yogurt mixture.
Add the mixed berries on top of the chia seeds.
Serve and enjoy your delicious and healthy Greek Yogurt Banana Split!
Here are some dietitian approved swaps and variations for a healthy banana split:
- Vegan Option: Use non-dairy yogurt or silken tofu in place of the Greek yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
- Nut Butter Alternatives: If you have a peanut allergy or prefer a different nut butter, you can swap out the peanut butter for almond, cashew, or sunflower seed butter.
- Gluten-Free Option: If using granola, choose a gluten-free granola or swap it out for chopped nuts or seeds!
- Fruit Swaps: You can use your favorite fruit of choice instead of the mixed berries. Fresh cherries or peaches are two of my other favorite options.
- Add Nutrition Dense Toppings: Boost the nutrition of your Greek Yogurt Banana Split by adding superfoods such as cacao nibs, hemp seeds, or flax seeds.
These variations are a great way to customize your Greek Yogurt Banana Split to your liking and incorporate different ingredients to suit your dietary needs. Note, nutrition information may vary depending on brands and ingredients used.
Here are some storage tips for the Greek Yogurt Banana Split recipe:
- Store in the fridge: If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This recipe is best enjoyed fresh, so try to consume it within 24-48 hours.
- Keep toppings separate: If you’re meal prepping this recipe, store the toppings separately from the Greek yogurt and banana. This will help prevent the toppings from getting soggy.
- Pre-mix the Greek yogurt: If you’re meal prepping this recipe, you can pre-mix the Greek yogurt and protein powder in a separate container and store it in the refrigerator. This will make assembly quick and easy in the morning.
FAQs about Greek Yogurt Banana Split
Can I use regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt?
Yes, you can use regular yogurt in place of Greek yogurt. However, keep in mind that regular yogurt is thinner and contains less protein than Greek yogurt, so your final result may be slightly different.
Why is this recipe healthier than a traditional banana split?
This recipe is healthier than traditional banana splits because it uses Greek yogurt instead of ice cream and includes nutrient-dense toppings such as chia seeds, fresh berries, and peanut butter, which provide additional fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Overall, this recipe is a more nutritious and balanced option that can be enjoyed as a fun breakfast, snack or even a healthy dessert option!
Can I omit the protein powder from the recipe?
Yes, you can omit the protein powder from the recipe if you prefer. Just be aware that this will lower the overall protein content of the recipe.
What are some tips for eating a healthy breakfast?
As a dietitian, my #1 tip I give clients is to start the day off by prioritizing protein-rich foods such as eggs, Greek yogurt, or protein powder, which can help keep you full and satisfied throughout the morning. Add in healthy fats such as avocado or nuts, which can also help regulate blood sugar levels and improve brain function. Including fiber-rich foods such as fresh fruit, veggies, or whole grains can aid digestion and prevent overeating later in the day.
Greek Yogurt Banana Split
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp peanut butter natural
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup mixed berries strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- Begin by slicing the banana in half lengthwise and placing it in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt and protein powder until well combined.
- Spoon the yogurt mixture over the banana slices, dividing it evenly between the two halves.
- Drizzle the peanut butter over the yogurt mixture.
- Sprinkle the chia seeds over the top of the yogurt mixture.
- Add the mixed berries on top of the chia seeds.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious and healthy Greek Yogurt Banana Split!